Tuesday, June 14, 2011

They call it the bassoon for a reason, folks.

I had a lesson with the principal trumpet of our city orchestra a few days ago.  I'll probably talk about that at one point, but for now, I need to let it stew in my mind for a little longer.  I have a few smaller things to get out of the way first, and there might be a rather large impact of that lesson in my future, but enough said about that.

One of the coolest things happened to me in orchestra rehearsal on Friday.  It was the first of two solid days of rehearsal for a Sunday matinee with the festival orchestra, and was made of largely symphony members, with some young artists thrown in for good measure, and to cover up the parts (as our home symphony has less than 40 full-time members).

So, in every ensemble I've been in, I can't help not feeling like a student.  I've done a bit of community orchestra work, where I feel like I'm a mere learner, as is everyone else in the ensemble.  When we did a combined youth orchestra/symphony concert, I couldn't get the thought out of my head that there was still a divide between professionals and students.  A divide that you could just... feel in the room.

Then last Friday happened.  The way the conductor talked, the way the musicians interacted... for once, I felt like I was on par with EVERYONE in the orchestra.  Not on par in terms of skill, but in terms of social status.  It was as if, for once, we were all on the same page.  No musician was superior to another... it was kind of awesome.

So yeah, short post is short, but we'll see.  I have another small rant I might put up to kill time, but there's definitely some substance in the future.   Smell you all later, dudes.

No comments:

Post a Comment