Thursday, November 17, 2011

Whole lotta random junk! Wooo!

Hi interwebs!  Long time no rant!  So, here's one rant, and I have another ultra-nerdy but still music one planned for... whenever I have the chance, so like next week sometime. XD

Thing number one: MASTERCLASS TOMORROW.  I'm incredibly pumped, we're having one of (if not) the BEST trumpet players in the country come to direct it, and her orchestra's performing with our local pro orch Saturday night.  WHICH I'M GOING TO.  I lucked out on two tickets through a series of fortunate events, and they're playing Tchaik 5, so I'm totally stoked.


I'm going to play Legend in the masterclass.  I've played it once already in front of people, at the last noon-hour concert at school.  It actually went really well, except I was for some reason shaking, which I rarely ever do these days (and by rarely, I MEAN it, like maybe once a YEAR or so).  But, there was only one part I was consciously aware of cracking, though that run at the end gets me every time.  I start to get ahead of the piano, so I pull back on the rein, and then it becomes a rocking-back-and-forth until we (usually) end together miraculously at the same time.  Much like the contour of the lick itself.

So, orchestra.  Oh, orchestra.  I'm sitting second in the youth orchestra this year, which I've known for ages, and I'm cool with that.  But I think I got demoted in university orchestra, since I'm labeled as first for the first concert (ALL SIBELIUS, ALL THE TIME), even though we rotate, I play first in two pieces, and my ol' buddy Thalberg does in one (he's Thalberg because I have longer hair, so I get to be Liszt, and there's actually a few other good reasons we line up that way, but not going to go into too much detail right now).  But now I'm apparently sitting second for the whole of the second concert... I just wanted to drive ONE of the orchestras.  Not both.  Just one.  I feel like it's another one of those "we're getting you accustomed to it now so if you get that kind of gig in real life you can deal" things, but... idk.  I just feel like the conductor shouldn't have written "trumpet I" on the set of parts I got in September if he planned on switching them up like that.  On the other hand, I feel like I AM getting to be a decent second, in the sense of anticipating what the lead's going to do and matching lenght/style/tone/etc, but... I have enough chance to practice that in youth orchestra, I just want to experience it from both sides. :/

Anyways, off to play me some Legend.  After all, Masterclassmasterclassmasterclass. ^.^  I reeeeeeeeeeeeeeally hope it goes well for me.  I really do.




(Also, the third movement of the Sibelius violin concerto?  That's totally the soundtrack to some guy baking a pizza.  Just saying.)

No comments:

Post a Comment