Sunday, February 19, 2012

BAWSStakovich

We just had our combined Pro Orch/Youth Orch concert tonight.  And WOW.  Another great show, guys.  Today was very bipolar for me, so I find it appropriate that we like to joke about the "ironic D major" that ends Shostakovich's fifth symphony.  There were lots of ups, and unfortunately more than a comfortable amount of downs, but it was worth it, and I wouldn't take it back for the world.



So, Big Boss Guy was sick for the dress rehearsal, meaning poor li'l old Assistant Principal (i.e. me) from the Youth Orchestra had to fill in.  Thankfully, we had a pro ringer helping one of the students on the third part, so he came up to first for the dress.  Which was fantastic, because *I* was starting to get sick, too.  I'm feeling a little better now, but I really need to get to bed and rest to nip this in the bud, I can't have it in the way of my audition on Tuesday.  But obviously this is more important! XD

I guess a lot of why I was in a sour mood before the concert had to do with how my before-Mahler had gone, for the synonymous show last season.  I had THAT DAY won an audition to play Principal in an American youth orchestra (I had to decline due to financial reasons, and the tour was later cancelled due to low attendance anyways), I had an absolute hottie I was expecting to land (that didn't work out because reasons, but she's thankfully one of my better friends still, so I'm glad I have her in that respect), and my playing just felt on top of the world.  It was back in my too-full-of-myself-for-my-own-good phase, which this year has helped remedy, as I had been developing an unmerited cockiness in regards to my skills.  But still, I felt AWESOME.

This year, before the concert wasn't quite as awesome.  There was the dress rehearsal, which was meh.  I had no female companion to lean on/brag to, depending on mood.  And the whole cold that may or may not be hitting me as I type, and has been looming all day.  Due to that cold, my finesse and endurance were both shot, but I survived the concert.

In the positives, I got to see Sol today, for probably the last time til Christmas, and I do miss her, so that was great.  The coolest thing, though, had to be the way me and the Big Boss interacted while playing.  We were both under the weather, but it seemed that we were communicating really well.  We realized we had to lean on each other to make it through this piece, and there were times when I had to take charge, something that had me terrified (this is the big leagues after all), but when it did show up, I kept cool and blew.  And it's Russian music, so that is the way to do it: keep your head on straight and pump it full of air.  And he was absolutely fantastic.  Such a professional.  Such a beast.  So much... ANGST.  So much VOLUME.

(As a side note, someone came to the concert that I was really hoping to see today.  I know it's a terrible idea to get attached to someone at this point, especially since I don't know where I'll be living come September, but it likely won't be in the same place she will be.  Still... if she were into me, I'd be more than okay with that... >.>)

Y'know what?  Today ended up being pretty damn good.  Sinuses be damned, I had fun.  It was amazing.  Awe-inspiring.  Heart-wrenching.  Stalin can go cry in a corner.



Next time: Auditions! Live!

No comments:

Post a Comment