Saturday, May 12, 2012

What does the scouter say about his power level?

If you don't get that reference, you haven't been following my blog very closely... shame on you!  But anyways, writing because I'm waiting for a potion to brew on Pottermore, and because I have some things I want to blab about, so felt like a good idea.

First off, had the second of two gigs with the local community orchestra tonight, and this night went better than the first, I'd say.  On the program was Schubert's Stabat Mater, Beethoven's Choral Fantasy, and Mozart's Magic Flute overture.  Not in that order.  In, like, that order but backwards.  Didn't really like the Schubert, Beethoven was average but nowhere near the level of his symphonies, and the Mozart's one of my favourite things he wrote (nothing'll ever beat his Symphony 25 for me, but Magic Flute's a good one).


So, here's a weird thing that I've noticed happens to me before orchestra sometimes: every now and then, before a gig or a rehearsal, I'll have a temporary rush of going Super Saiyan.  Like, everything I play will be spot-on, and then some.  During my warm-up before the gig tonight, I did the slow section of the Poulenc trio (first movement) flawlessly, and did a run that ended a third higher than what I tell people is my max capacity on a long horn (played the show on C, as is my usual when I can help it).  It usually only happens before a rehearsal, and even then, it's always before orchestra rehearsals, never band, quintet, or chamber.


I feel like it has something to do with relaxation, and the fact that I'm usually the most at peace in an orchestra setting.  Either way, if only I could harness this power, and use it whenever I want... the power of the Super Saiyan will be mine, I tell you!

Speaking of relaxation... I don't think that's going to happen any time soon.  The music festival is coming up, and... well, here's a story about last year.  I have a notorious history of getting slumps, but by now it's basically just history, and I'll only ever be out for maybe a day, sometimes even only a few hours.  But, when festival rolled around last year, I was off my game for the first week, and a little bit into the second.  I don't know if I ever really gained the respect of the quintet back.  I just really put on a bad show, and this time, I KNOW it can't happen.  I know I'm better than I was last year, even if I hadn't had the slump.  I know that my skills have improved, and that I can pull off the piece we're looking at.  We haven't come to a full conclusion yet, but I'm really hopeful for the Malcolm Arnold.


I know that this time, I have to be on top of my game. I have to be ready, and I'm going to show them.  And, y'know what... I WILL.  It's gonna happen, I'm gonna rock.  I'll unleash maximum capacity, and I won't make a fool of myself for another year.  I swear to Arceus, this year is going to be awesome!


Next time... something so ludicrous, you serious people might as well just skip it and come back the time after. XP

No comments:

Post a Comment