Monday, August 08, 2011

Gotta get down in August, everybody's looking forward to September!

Hello fellow interneters!  So, the only thing left for me to do this summer is youth orchestra camp, and that will run almost immediately into September.  Only two more weeks of work left before that.  It's finally that time of year, the time younger children dread, and us post-secondary students strangely long for.

As I have done for the past two years, I'm planning to have a student recital in March sometime, this one being my last before I leave the city.  I don't have a name picked out yet, but I've been referring to it under the tentative codename of "Like a Brass."  Reasoning for that should be obvious... >.>


Like the last one, this one will be a split recital with a friend of mine, a trombonist this time around (the last one being a clarinetist).  Both of those folks have shot miles up my list of top friends over the past year or so, and I'm totally thrilled to know you both, since I'm pretty sure at least one of you reads this.

The theme of the recital, nay, the entire YEAR (not sure if Ye Olde English, or Legend of Zelda reference), is chamber music.  Of course, the two of us will be doing a duet in the concert, a piece written by a former composition professor at our school, who was active during the 1980s, and was written for my trumpet professor, and another trombonist, both of whom were principal chairs in the orchestra at the time.  It's a great piece, kind of weird, but I like it.  It's not entirely tonal, but right in the middle, has a nice one of these:


(Not that actual song, just the same progression as it for about a page, and it's the first one that popped into my head XD).  I've also got word from one of my piano major friends that we're definitely doing a sonata, the question now is just which one, but I'm kind of feeling Hindemith.  Except I just remembered (like, JUST, as in while typing this) that we'll probably also be hearing the Hindemith trombone sonata, so perhaps not... I'm really itching to play Kennan again, maybe I'll dust that one off.

We've also got the Poulenc trio on the list, with a rather talented horn player at our school.  I was talking to a soprano I know on Saturday, and I might consider adding Handel or Scarlatti or something.  I have a friend majoring in composition, who's in the middle of writing a piece for trumpet and electronics (more on that when I get more information).  AND, I might have mentioned back in June or July, my professor will actually be making an appearance, we're going to play the Manfredini!  Obviously I can't have ALL of these at the recital, and I'll have to pick and choose carefully (both the soprano and composer are graduating, so I might respectfully have to ask that we just do those at their respective recitals).  But, yeah, I'm really looking forward to this year.


No comments:

Post a Comment