Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Music Moments of Awesome #1

As an introductory note, I'm going to start making up names for people I refer to frequently, so I don't have to keep saying "a friend who plays _____" all the time.  All of these names have a reason that makes sense to me, and that the person may or may not get (if you can figure out yourself, good job, PM or FB me the names and we'll see who gets the most right).

Welcome, one and all (if there IS a difference), to Music Moments of Awesome, a random mini-series I came up with to catalogue random little moments in my life that would sound totally lame if I told you directly, but are going to sound deep and profound because it's text on a blog on the internet, and especially so because it's white text on a black background, which is 56% more profound than the next most profound colour scheme.

So, the coolest experience I've had in music, to date.  That sounds like an excellent way to start off, give away the good one so that everything after this can't live up!  Brilliant idea.  Anyways, last October, I had the honour of playing in a combo with a clarinetist from New York.  He was completely amazing at the instrument, and both looked and played like a snake charmer.  Probably the sexiest clarinet tone that I know (amirite, Sol?).  Anyways, the concert, which was about 45-50 minutes of improvised, minimalist, multicultural (even within itself) music, was a huge success, and I couldn't be happier to have been a part.  But that's actually not the moment I'm thinking of.

The moment happened in the green room, before one of the shows (I think it was the first one, can't remember).  There was eight of us from the youth orchestra (nine if we include the conductor) in the ensemble, and we were warming up.  Then, someone started playing Brahms Hungarian Dance No. 5.  Yeah, you know the one.


And then... we all started playing it.  Ramona, Minevra, and I took the tune along with the violins, either having it already or having figured it out earlier, while Lucca played the offbeats, JC took the bass line, and Rite conducted, with our conductor eventually taking her arms and conducting through her.  It was like something out of those lame high school arts show for kids, where the entire cast just bursts into the same song, and they all know how it goes.  Except... IT HAPPENED.  It really happened.  That's the only time it's ever worked out as well as on TV for me (one person on guitar and everyone else singing totally doesn't count, as it's nowhere NEAR the same magnitude).  It's a moment that, though some of the other people may not have thought much of it, I'll never forget.  Because the impossible... just went down.

AWESOME.







(Also, this)


No comments:

Post a Comment